2014/15 - BRFC

Go to content

Main menu:


Match Reports are down the page ....
Old Centralians2618176725511211084
Newton Abbot2611114654670-161864
Old Patesians269116533755-2221654
Old Redcliffians2610214439642-203650
Oxford Harlequins266020431825-394933
Quarter Final

Semi Final

 6 September 2014
Old Reds home at Scotland Road in Bristol has never been a happy hunting ground for the Fishermen but on a sunny, hot and windless Saturday they overcame their bogey.
Knowing that they would be playing up the slope in the second half Brixham needed to establish an early lead. It soon became apparent that they had the edge in the scrums which they never lost. The hosts were penned back in the early stages and Brixham capitalised on their errors and lack of discipline.
Ben Lovell slotted two penalties in the first ten minutes to ease Brixham ahead and added a third soon after.
Throughout the first half Brixham had the territorial advantage but could find no way through the Reds defence. The hosts’ rare attacks showed more potency but were held by the Brixham cover defence. Lovell added a fourth penalty – and was just wide with his fifth attempt – before the half-time whistle.
Reds had ended the first half by threatening the Brixham line and resumed the offensive in the opening stages of the second. With eight minutes of the half played they got their reward when their winger outstripped the defence to claim a try. The conversion left the Brixham lead at just five points.
More attacks by the homesters were held by the defence and Brixham mounted only rare forays into their half. With fifteen minutes left on the watch one attack resulted in a penalty on the halfway line. At the limits of his range Lovell stepped up to earn the three points and extend the Brixham lead.
Reds still fancied the game was theirs and the offensive pressure was stepped up. After a missed drop-goal attempt they failed with a fairly straightforward penalty and might have guessed that this was not going to be their day.
More attacking and Reds won a scrum in front of the posts. The Brixham pack drove them back in considerable style and earned a pressure-relieving penalty. Two minutes later Lovell had landed his sixth penalty to give the Fishermen an eleven point lead.
Brixham still had to hold out for another five minutes before the joy of the final whistle.
This was a hard fought match between two teams who both made mistakes and seemed lacking in match time. For Brixham a welcome victory and a good start to their third season in National 3 South-West.

13 September 2014
The Fishermen continued their bright start to the season when they overcame a determined Oxford side in a pulsating game at Astley Park on Saturday.
Oxford won promotion as champions of SouthWest 1 East last season and heavily beat Bournemouth in their opening fixture. With ex-Tongan International Keni Fisilau coaching, and playing, for them they were sure to provide a stern test for Brixham.
After a tentative opening ten minutes Ben Lovell got the scoreboard moving with a penalty goal but this was followed by ten minutes of Oxford pressure. An equalising penalty concluded this period – from the restart Brixham were on the attack.
A sequence of attacks saw Brixham threatening the visitors’ line. On the half-hour mark, with quick ball from an attacking scrum, outside-half Martin Worthington split the defence and put scrum-half Andy Sandercock in under the posts for the opening try. Lovell added the extras.
The remaining ten minutes of the half produced tit-for-tat play; Oxford having the edge in possession and territory.
From the opening whistle of the second half Oxford were determined to overturn the 10 points to three deficit and it took just two minutes to level the scores when they found space on the left wing.
The parity they gained was short-lived. Brixham attacked and from a ruck on the left, swift handling moved the ball to winger Jonny Brown to go over in the right corner.
Further attacking by Brixham went unrewarded; twice the referee denied their claims for tries. Undaunted, the attacking continued. A strong run by centre Tom McLean took him through the first defensive line. When he was brought down short of the line the ball was swiftly recycled and flanker Sam Thomas went over despite the efforts of four Quins players.
With a Lovell conversion Brixham now led 22-10 but with over twenty minutes to play it was by no means over and both sides attacked when the opportunity existed. Brixham still wanted a fourth try for a bonus point and when they won a scrum against the head on the Oxford 22 the opportunity seemed to be there.
The ball was spun out left but the final pass went awry. The Oxford winger plucked the ball up and scooted down the touchline for a try.
Four minutes later and an identical scrum in the same place. Brixham again took it and a long looped pass by Worthington found Brown in space and the desired try.
Before the final whistle Lovell converted his second penalty and the Fishermen had found a safe harbour.

27 September 2014
Cockles are not a staple of the Brixham fishing industry and the Fishermen failed to land any at Astley Park on Saturday. Exmouth won the game in a nail-biting finale that had their coach Jon Hill doing a celebratory cartwheel on the pitch at the end.
Brixham went off at high speed and rattled the Cockes’ shells. Indiscipline cost the visitors two penalties in the first three minutes; Ben Lovell secured the points. Exmouth got one back but the Brixham lead was extended by another Brixham brace as matters got somewhat heated among the forwards. Hill was castigated by the referee for his “unhelpful comments” and the game proceeded.
Exmouth recovered their composure and reduced the deficit with two penalties of their own in quick succession. The kicking duel had to end and did so when the Exmouth pack were penalised at a scrum. Brixham took it quickly and swift hands took the ball along the backs for winger Dean Squires to cross in the corner. Lovell added the extras for a ten-point lead.
Brixham continued to press forward but when the ball was turned over in midfield the Exmouth backs found an opportunity to run the ball back. Unexpectedly slack defence let them in for a converted try.
Before the break prop Declan Sexton earned his first yellow card in Brixham colours and Exmouth slotted a penalty to level the scores at 19 each.
In the second half Exmouth came out fired up. With Brixham a man short they used their forwards to batter the defence. In the first minute they were denied a try when the ball was held up over the line. Continued pressure eventually resulted in the Cockles’ second try and they had the lead for the first time in the match.
Exmouth were unable to dominate the Fishermen, however, and a spell of Brixham pressure midway through the half culminated in a penalty. Lovell landed his fifth of the afternoon and the arrears were reduced.
Five minutes later a strong run by centre Tom McLean broke the Exmouth defensive line and Matt Crosscombe was on hand to finish off. Lovell’s conversion gave Brixham a three point lead with ten minutes remaining.
Exmouth reverted to plan B, using their forwards to gain ground and test the Brixham defensive wall. In the last minute they found a chink and grounded for a try. The conversion came back off the posts but they had the lead back.
Brixham had time to restart and won a scrum in the Exmouth 22. The attacking possibility was denied as the final whistle sounded - just as the forwards prepared for the final push. Relief and delight for the Exmothians; no shellfish platter for the Brixhamites.

4 October 2014
Barnstaple have not had a great start to the season and their faithful supporters seemed to be less numerous than normal. From the opening whistle they had little to cheer about.
Having safely gathered in the Brixham kick-off, the attempted clearance kick was charged down by hooker Chey Bryce. A kindly bounce returned the ball to his hands and a 20 metre dash for a try in the corner. Just twenty seconds on the watch. Outside-half Ben Lovell, with the wind advantage, converted
Five minutes later and the lead was gone when Barnstaple went over from a lineout catch and drive. Brixham now began to set the pace of the game with a series of attacks. Another five minutes was all that was needful to restore the lead. Centre Dean Squire received the ball as it sped along the backs, ghosted through a gap and eluded several would-be tacklers on his way to the posts to give Lovell an easy conversion.
Next on the scoreboard was winger Matt Crosscombe. Again the ball was spun out but he changed the attacking angle and powered through to the same spot under the posts; and the same easy conversion.
The game was marred somewhat when over-aggressive play resulted in Brixham lock Luke Maggs and the Barnstaple hooker both receiving red cards. Lovell slotted the ensuing penalty kick and Brixham went straight back on the attack. No. 8 Sam Thomas went over, with assistance, from short range. Lovell converted and Brixham had secured a bonus point.
Cue the comeback. A spell of pressure from Barnstaple marked the closing stages of the half and an unconverted try cut into the Brixham lead. Unfortunately one of their props was injured in the build-up and had to leave the field. Equally unfortunately the comeback consisted of no more than the try and Brixham turned around 31-12 ahead.
With scrums uncontested in the second half, the game faded as a spectacle. Barnstaple tried to run the ball at every opportunity but very often made little progress in the face of the Fishermen’s firm tackling. By contrast the Brixham attacks kept the homesters pegged back. Lovell missed a penalty opportunity when his kick into the wind fell just under the crossbar.
Brixham extended their lead when centre Tom McLean sold a dummy to wrongfoot the defence and went through under the posts. Lovell added the extras.
Further tit-for-tat exchanges followed, culminating in Barnstaple virtually camped on the Brixham line. The defensive net held firm and the danger was averted.
Back to the other end of the field. A McLean run set up an attacking position on the right and quick hands took the ball across the park. Crosscombe received it on an angled run and crashed through two tackles before grounding it. Lovell again provided the icing on the cake.

11 October 2014
Bournemouth are in the process of rebuilding following relegation last season, the departure of a number of players over the summer and some early defeats. They were never going to be an easy nut to crack and Brixham needed to up their game in the final quarter to overcome them.
With the wind and slope in their favour the Fishermen attacked the Mudstone end and took an early lead when Ben Lovell slotted a penalty goal. Almost the next attack provided the opening try. Winger Dean Squire sprinted down the left touchline but was brought down a yard short. Fellow winger Matt Crosscombe, in support, scooped the ball up and dived over. Lovell missed the awkward conversion.
Further attacking ended in a near-disaster for Brixham when a pass in midfield was intercepted. The Bournemouth centre sprinted 80 metres to the posts and the conversion reduced the Brixham lead to a solitary point.
Undaunted, Brixham resumed the offensive. Lovell slotted a second penalty, a second try was disallowed for a forward pass and Lovell secured three more points with the assistance of the post.
The visitors now began to get back into the game but a spell of attacking brought nothing as the Brixham defence held firm. With ten minutes of the first half to play a scrum in midfield provided the starting point of the best try of the game. No 8 Sam Thomas peeled from the back and his powerful run took him twenty-five yards and through three tacklers. The ball emerged from the ensuing ruck and centre Tom McLean’s equally powerful run took him the same distance, and through more tacklers, to the try line.
With the conversion Brixham had a 14 point lead heading to the interval but Bournemouth had other ideas and some lax tackling turned an attack on the left into a try. With the elements in their favour in the second period Bournemouth had the scent of victory.
When Lovell slotted his fourth penalty early in the second half it only provided slight relief from the pressure that the visitors were putting on Brixham. Slick offloading and good support play enabled Bournemouth to thoroughly test the Brixham defences.
Having withstood the pressure for 20 minutes, Brixham buckled twice in the space of five minutes. Two tries, one converted, put the visitors ahead for the first time and the omens were not good.
Brixham were re-energised. From the restart they attacked. Forwards and backs combined to stretch Bournemouth and replacement wing Jonny Brown had enough pace and space to go over in the corner for a try. Lovell succeeded with the difficult conversion despite some attempted distraction.
The game could still go either way and tension rose as the clock counted down. Both sides struggled for the final breakthrough but the Fishermen achieved it when they attacked from within their own half and Crosscombe dashed away for a try – his spectacular diving touchdown brought the cheers of the supporters.

18 October 2014
Brixham were far from their best at Weston’s Recreation Ground but had far more firepower than their hosts and have now moved up to third place in the league.
In the first quarter Brixham enjoyed virtually no possession and spent almost all the time in their own half. Two penalties gave Weston the lead, and they probably thought they deserved more.
Brixham roused themselves. The first real attack resulted in a 5m scrum and centre Tom McLean made inroads in the middle. Quickly recycled the ball went out to the right where winger Jonny Brown crossed for a try.
Five minutes later and the Fishermen were back on the attack. A Weston clearance kick was recovered on halfway and Tom Goodman set off. His looped pass found centre Tom McLean in space and with Brown in support he ran straight through the final tackle before touching down
Another five minutes and the third try. A five metre lineout gave Brixham the platform and when lock Trae Gosling was brought down inches short of the line, prop Declan Sexton picked the ball un and dived over for his maiden try. Into the wind, Ben Lovell missed all three conversions.
Before halftime he re-found his kicking boots to slot a penalty goal. One in reply for Weston left the Fishermen 18-9 ahead at the break.
The second half began with Weston again dominating proceedings without any reward. Ten minutes in and Brixham struck again. Prop Kyle Mason and flanker Ronny Hannaford contributed textbook passes to move the ball to McLean who crossed in the corner. Yet again Lovell missed the conversion.
Weston strung a number of phases together before scoring an unconverted try to keep their hopes alive. Lovell subdued them somewhat with a penalty goal but Brixham found themselves under real pressure when two yellow cards in quick succession reduced their numbers for almost ten minutes. The defence held firm and with the final whistle approaching Brixham had the game won.
Goodman was denied a try when the referee deemed the ball held up. A third Lovell penalty extended the Brixham lead and another try went missing when Gosling fumbled the ball.
Weston scored a late consolation try but their afternoon was summed up by the conversion coming back off the crossbar.

25 October 2014
South Somerset is somewhat unknown territory for the Fishermen. Despite having lost their first seven games Chard were buoyed by a shoal returning, and new, players and hoped to kickstart their season. Their compact town-centre ground was not suited to Brixham’s style of play and they made the Fishermen struggle until the very end.
Territorially Brixham dominated the game but the well-organised Chard defence held the fluent back division while in the set-pieces honours were more or less even.
Brixham were behind after just two minutes when Chard attacked down the left and scored a converted try. Brixham then spent almost the whole of the first period in the Chard half. Opportunities to trouble the scoreboard with penalty goals were turned down in the hunt for the greater rewards of tries. Handling errors and mistakes at scrums and lineouts enabled Chard to clear their lines.
With half time approaching the hosts sallied into Brixham territory and with a two-man overlap should have scored their second try. They did not and the penalty Brixham conceded in defence was also missed. Further attacking made up for these lapses, however. A chip over the Brixham defence brought a try and the conversion brought the half-time whistle.
Fourteen points adrift and stern words from the coaches during the break. Brixham attacked from the kick off and virtually set up camp in the Chard 22. Eight minutes in and they got a breakthrough. A 5 metre lineout and drive powered over the line. Flanker Scott Puleston grounded the ball beneath the pile of bodies; fly-half Ben Lovell added the conversion and the deficit was halved.
Chard responded immediately and mounted an attack from the restart. Their reward was a penalty goal but this was a mere hiccup in the Brixham comeback.
A second try for the Fishermen soon followed. From a scrum close to the Chard line the ball was released and Matt Crosscombe, off his wing, looped behind and crashed over.
Further attacking saw prop Russ Morris brought down inches short of the line and No 8 Sam Thomas denied a try for a forward pass. Chard were under continuous pressure but defended well but the short range drive by Brixham prop Declan Sexton was unstoppable. His try, and winger Jonny Brown’s conversion, put Brixham ahead for the first time.
The Fishermen could not hold onto the lead, A couple of strong rolling mauls took Chard deep into Brixham territory and a penalty goal regained the lead. Five minutes later they extended it when an astute kick through resulted in them scoring a try. The conversion left Brixham eight points behind with as many minutes to play.
Staring down the barrel of defeat the Fishermen pressed forwards. A quickly taken tap penalty in the centre went wide for centre Tom McLean to go over in the corner. The conversion was missed and Brixham still trailed.
Time enough to launch more attacks but Brixham left it desperately late. The referee called “last play” and Brixham had another penalty. A kick would have meant a draw but from the tap Morris went through with the added power of Trae Gosling behind him. Brown converted and the final whistle sounded.
Chard were stunned, Brixham mightily relieved.

1 November 2014
Brixham remain fourth in the League, on points difference, after a thrilling encounter with their Berkshire opponents. Bracknell were one of the pre-season promotion favourites and clearly felt that this was “the game that got away”.
Despite playing uphill and into the strong crosswind, Brixham got off to a flying start with a try in the first minute. A strong run by lock Luke Maggs set up a ruck on the Bracknell 22; swift hands then took it out to the left wing where Matt Crosscombe had the space to go over.
A penalty for Bracknell from long range was quickly followed by one for Brixham from winger Jonny Brown. A second try for the Fishermen rounded out the opening ten minutes. From a lineout on halfway Brixham moved the ball across the pitch at speed; Brown took it close before off-loading to Crosscombe to go over in the right corner.
Bracknell now began to show their strength and pressure on the Brixham defence brought another penalty. This was missed but was soon followed by a converted try when a neatly angled run took them through the centre of the defence.
The Brixham lead was down to three points and a penalty each left it that way. More Brixham attacking brought a third try when flanker Scott Puleston was propelled over the line from a lineout catch and drive. The conversion was missed and Bracknell reduced the deficit with a penalty on the stroke of halftime.
Leading 21-16 at the break, and with the wind and slope in their favour in the second half, Brixham might have felt that the hard work had been done. In National League rugby nothing is ever that simple.
Attacking from the restart, Brixham won an early penalty but Ben Lovell, having taken over the kicking duties, missed the chance. Minutes later the lead changed hands. A neat chip over the Brixham defence was recovered by the visitors for a converted try.
When Lovell knocked over a penalty from the halfway line Brixham recovered a slim lead and another penalty, after a spell of attacking, extended it. When Bracknell were reduced to 14 men after a yellow card, Brixham might have made that advantage count. Bracknell played out the period keeping the ball alive through numerous phases and Brixham were starved of possession.
Despite their pressure, Bracknell could find no way through and their only reward was another penalty goal. Restored to a full complement they continued to threaten. Another penalty, in front of the posts, would have given them the lead but was missed.
In the final five minutes Brixham relieved the pressure on their line by mounting attacks of their own but were held out. Bracknell’s final chance came from an attack started deep in their own half. Only a last ditch tackle from Brown prevented a try. Bracknell were penalised at an ensuing ruck and it was game over.

15 November 2014
Hornets used to be old adversaries of Brixham so this was a case of renewed rivalry. After a period in the doldrums Hornets have rebuilt and after two promotions have proved to be one of the surprise packages in the League this season. Brixham expected a stern test and got it!
Brixham were in the lead after five minutes. From a promising position in front of the posts they fainted right but changed direction and went out to the left where winger Matt Crosscombe went over. The strong wind did nothing to help the kickers and Ben Lovell missed the conversion.
With play ebbing back and forth penalties were traded before Hornets used their powerful pack to take the lead. A maul from over 20 metres out ended with a converted try. With Hornets now beginning to get the upper hand it got worse for Brixham. Powerful running and passing stretched Brixham one way and then the other before a long pass set up their second try ten minutes before the break.
Brixham regained some initiative in that time and had their hosts pegged back. Lovell missed a penalty attempt but made up for it with a successful one to leave Brixham trailing 15-11 at the break.
Immediately from the restart Brixham were penalised and the gap was out to seven points again. Brixham pressed forward and Hornets earned a yellow card in defending. A lineout was followed by a maul and the pack rumbled over for hooker Chey Bryce to ground the ball. Jonny Brown took over the kicking duties but failed to add the extras.
Within five minutes Hornets had extended their lead to nine points. Brixham had lost Brown to the sin-bin and Hornets set up a maul from the penalty and resulting lineout. After making good ground the ball was released and, taking the ball at pace, their winger was in under the posts for an easily converted try.
The final 25 minutes were all about Brixham battering away at the Hornets’ defence. To no avail. Scrum-half Andy Sandercock took over the kicking but two penalty goals were missed. The clock was ticking down but Brixham maintained the effort.
Less than ten minutes and it looked as though Hornets were going to maintain their 18 month unbeaten home record.
Centre Tom McLean made the breakthrough. After eluding tacklers the defence seemingly parted to allow him through; the cover defence could not reach him in time to prevent his try. Sandercock converted to leave Brixham two points behind and the likely consolation of a losing bonus point.
More Brixham pressure, more heroic defence by the homesters. When the referee called “last play” Hornets had the ball at a ruck and only needed it to go into touch for victory. The kick was poor, Jonny Brown charged it down and recovered it. Brought down just short the ball was released quickly to centre Martin Worthington who crashed over for the Fishermen’s fourth try. Sandercock converted with the final kick.
Brixham and their supporters were ecstatic with victory from the jaws of defeat.

29 November 2014
The Fishermen travelled to Reading for this top of the table clash but returned to port with their nets empty. An early start and a long journey are not ideal and in the opening quarter it looked as if Brixham were still on the coach.
A penalty goal in front of the posts opened the scoring for the hosts after three minutes and this was quickly followed by their opening try. Brixham lost a scrum and the Rams ran it back at them through several pairs of hands to touch down. A successful conversion put them ten points ahead.
Brixham’s first attack brought a penalty goal chance, but this was missed. Rams then had a similar kick at the other end. This too went astray but from the 22 drop out they collected the ball and found a gap in the middle of the Brixham defence to go through for a converted try.
Nothing much was going right for the Fishermen. A lineout on halfway was lost and again the swift hands and pace of the hosts’ back division resulted in a try and conversion.
Twenty-four points down after seventeen minutes was not what Brixham expected or wanted and they now began to get the measure of their opponents and fight back. A series of powerful runs got them close and from a ruck close to the homesters line prop Declan Sexton powered over for a try. Ben Lovell added the extras from wide on the right.
A second try soon followed. A lineout on the left provided the platform for the Brixham backs to show their handling skills and when centre Tom McLean brushed off the first tackler he had an almost clear run in to the corner. Lovell again converted.
Unfortunately the momentum could not be maintained and the comeback was not to be. A penalty and a fourth try for Redingensians stretched their lead. Brixham put their defence under some strain in the last ten minutes of the half and were denied a try when the referee deemed the ball “held up”.
Trailing by 18 points at the break, Brixham knew that victory would be difficult. A spell of pressure early on ended with the deficit being reduced by three when Lovell slotted a penalty but Brixham were coming under increasing pressure in the scrums.
Without the solid presence of Adam Thomas the pack began to creak and when the hosts could find no way through the Brixham defence they used more muscular methods.
A penalty goal was quickly followed by a penalty try midway though the half and Rams had extended their lead. The pressure on the scrum intensified when flanker Sam Thomas was sin-binned and a pushover try was conceded.
Well beaten but unbowed, Brixham had the final word. A final attacking flurry saw winger Matt Crosscombe go over in the corner for a try. Lovell’s failed conversion brought the final whistle.

6 December 2014
Old Centralians were languishing at the base of the table when Brixham played them last year. Their victory marked the start of a resurgence. This year they are mid-table and proved equally difficult to overcome.
In truth it was a game of little spectacle and relatively few scoring chances. The hosts used their pack to good effect and the Brixham backs failed to click.
After the opening exchanges Brixham took the lead with a penalty from outside-half Ben Lovell. Inconclusive sparring in midfield failed to create any chances but a series of Brixham attacks midway through the first period resulted in the lead being extended.
When the ball went out along the Brixham backs it found its way to centre Dean Squire who danced and jinked his way over the line. Lovell added the extras and Brixham had a base to build upon.
Centralians had not read the Brixham script and struck back. A penalty goal reduced the arrears. Five minutes later a succession of rolling mauls took them thirty metres before grounding the ball. The conversion was missed but a penalty goal put the hosts a point ahead.
With half-time approaching Lovell slotted his second penalty to regain the lead. Brixham then ran back the ball from the restart and after several phases had another penalty chance. Lovell unexpectedly missed.
In the second half Old Centralians opted to use their forwards rather than their backs. They started strongly and within five minutes had regained the lead with a penalty.
Brixham’s attacking was generally more incisive than that of the homesters but foundered on handling errors and players getting isolated and conceding penalties.
Midway though the period another series of rolling mauls threatened the Brixham line but brought only another penalty goal for Centralians.
The final quarter saw a contrast in styles – Brixham attacking with powerful runs, but stringing few phases together, Old Cents using their forwards to slowly grind out hard yards while denying Brixham possession.
An attack down the right wing took Matt Crosscombe over for a try, only to be pulled back for a foot in touch (allegedly). More Brixham attacks came close, but not close enough, and another last minute victory eluded them.

13 December 2015
With the season now at the halfway point, the Fishermen occupy the fourth position in the League. After a disappointing defeat in Gloucester last week, Saturday’s visitors from Cheltenham proved less of an obstacle. Brixham outside-half Ben Lovell had a memorable afternoon – he scored his first hattrick of tries in senior rugby and passed 1500 points for the First XV.
Playing downhill towards the Mudstone end Brixham set their stall out early. In the opening exchanges they threatened the visitors line but were repulsed and it took until the seventh minute for the scoreboard to be troubled.
From a lineout on the left Brixham spun the ball along the line and created space for winger Jonny Brown to go over in the right corner. Lovell’s conversion attempt was just wide of the mark.
Old Pats struggled for an equalising score. While their forwards made some ground their backs lacked any cutting edge and the attacks were repelled. Brixham weathered the ten minutes of pressure and struck back. Lovell was short with a penalty attempt but made amends soon afterwards with his first try.
As with the opening try pace and fast hands proved the key. Centre Martin Worthington made a break in the centre before offloading to Lovell who sold a dummy to the last defender to go in close to the posts. He duly added the conversion.
A penalty goal five minutes later increased the Brixham lead and Old Pats got on the scoreboard with one of their own.
Brixham needed to increase their lead by half time and thought they had done so when winger Dean Squire dived over the line. Unfortunately his left foot had strayed into touch. Pats messed up the lineout, Brixham got a scrum and fast hands again paid off. No 8 Jarryd Harris provided the final pass leaving Lovell little distance to cover for his second try.
Lovell converted and scored a penalty to leave Brixham 25-3 ahead at the break.
In the second half, playing uphill, Brixham struggled to make much impression and most of the play in the first 15 minutes was in the Brixham half. The defence held firm against the visitors’ attacks and not even a penalty chance was conceded.
Brixham’s first attack took them close to the try-line and Patts gave away a penalty. Scrum-half Andy Sandercock now had the kicking duties and took the three points on offer.
From the restart Brixham were back on the attack. From a ruck in midfield Martin Worthington chose not to pass, choosing a chip kick over the defence. Fullback Tom Goodman gathered the ball on the bounce, shrugged off his opposite number and went over for the try that earned Brixham a bonus point. Sandercock converted.
With the result in little doubt Old Patesians scored an unconverted try but this was scant recompense for their endeavours and with ten minutes remaining Brixham scored their fifth, and Lovell got his hattrick.
After a spell of broken play and a ruck the ball went first to Harris, then to hooker Chey Bryce whose deft pass found Lovell on the wing to go over in the corner.
Brixham continued to look for more but the game ended when Squire was injured in a tackle.

20 December 2014
Brixham go into the Christmas break in third place thanks to a hard-fought victory at Oxford. With injuries and sickness blighting training and selection the Fishermen were forced to dig deep. On a supposedly “local derby” weekend Brixham had their longest away trip of the season; all in all not ideal circumstances.
Brixham were playing against the wind in the first half and the honours were more or less even. There was little to choose between the packs and in the backs, where Oxford passed the ball out along their back line, Brixham’s more direct approach was equally effective.
Oxford took the lead with an early penalty but outside-half Ben Lovell evened things up with a drop-goal midway through the first half. With the break approaching Oxford started to pressurise the Brixham line. A succession of phases saw their forwards thwarted by the Brixham defence.
Eventually the backs were brought into action; the ball went out to the left where their winger had enough space to round the defence and touch down by the posts. A successful conversion gave them a 10-3 lead at the break.
Early in the second period Lovell missed a penalty that would have narrowed the gap but Brixham were back on level terms soon afterward. A typical Oxford attack was halted when winger Jonny Brown brought down his opposite number. After a messy ruck Brixham captain Adam Thomas went through on the Oxford scrum-half who popped the ball up neatly for Brown to sprint clear to touch down in the corner. Lovell converted.
The contest remained evenly balanced but the deadlock was broken when a quickly taken throw-in resulted in Dean Squire racing down the left wing for a try while everyone else was preparing for an ordinary lineout. Brixham now had the lead for the first time. Lovell missed the conversion but made amends with a penalty after a period of Brixham threatening the homesters line.
Oxford now began to get somewhat on top but their attacks often ended with handling errors. Somewhat against the run of play Brixham extended their lead. A juggled interception by prop Russ Morris, followed by a charging run, had Oxford retreating; Martin Worthington’s neat kick through put them right on the back foot. When they tried to run the ball back a crucial pass was fumbled, Adam Thomas was again on hand to clean up and centre Tom McLean ran through for a try.
Lovell missed the conversion; his kick actually bouncing off the TOP of the post!
Oxford may have sensed that the game was lost but they could still earn a losing bonus point with a converted try. For most of the last ten minutes they were virtually camped in the Brixham 22 and pounded at the Brixham line.
The defence held firm and Brixham thought they had a fourth (bonus point) try when McLean intercepted and ran the length of the pitch to dive over. Unfortunately the referee called him back because of a previous infringement and the defensive test began anew. Eventually Brixham turned the ball over, delivered it to touch and brought the final whistle.

3 January 2015
A hard-fought encounter at Astley Park resulted in the Fishermen losing narrowly to the League leaders. Both sides expected a tough encounter and the result was in doubt until the final whistle.
Brixham were boosted by the experience and presence of evergreen Andy Knight in the forwards but were deprived of that of player-coach Martin Worthington in the back division.
A penalty in the first minute gave Brixham a dream start but just over five minutes later Redingensians took the lead that they would never surrender. A short spell of pressure by their forwards was rounded off when the ball was sent to the backs and their full-back had the space and pace to round the Brixham defence and ground the ball near the posts for an easy conversion.
The game now settled into a rhythm of attack and counter-attack. With the defences well on top scoring chances were few. Midway through the half the visitors looked to have scored after a 5m lineout and drive but were denied as the referee had spotted a double movement in touching down. With Brixham still defending close to their line a penalty infringement gave the visitors the opportunity to increase their lead soon after.
Brixham responded with a spell of their own attacking and were eventually rewarded with a second penalty for Ben Lovell. As half-time drew near play was back at the other end and a second penalty for the Rams drew the half to a close.
Having played against the wind and slope in the first period, Brixham would not have considered a 13-6 deficit insurmountable with the elements in their favour. Five minutes into the second half and a third penalty increased the visitors’ advantage.
Play continued to swing back and forth and still no clear-cut chances were created. With fifteen minutes remaining Brixham pressed close to the Mudstone end try-line and after a lineout a series of drives culminated in centre Steve Worth diving over the line amongst the forwards to claim a try. Lovell converted and Brixham could scent victory.
Redingensians shut them out by keeping the ball tight and rumbling through the phases. Brixham had half-chances but were let down by poor, and missed, passes.

10 January 2015
Exmouth 51 Brixham 10
After facing the League leaders last week, Brixham travelled to second-placed Exmouth on Saturday. Injuries and unavailabilities weakened the Fishermen and their task was always going to be difficult.
In cold, sunny, conditions but with a strong wind blowing across the estuary and diagonally across the pitch it was never going to be an easy day for the kickers. A penalty from Ben Lovell put Brixham ahead after two minutes. From that point on the tide of the game flowed increasingly against them.
Within five minutes a converted try put the Cockles ahead and they soon increased their lead with a penalty. Halfway through the first period Brixham were back on level terms when Jonny Brown broke through the middle and put centre Dean Squire clear for a try converted by Lovell.
Brixham now struggled to get any continuity in their play. Whether attacking or defending they constantly fell foul of the referee and play was largely in their own half. Before the break Exmouth had added two tries and a penalty to their tally and turned around 25-10 ahead.
Two more penalties in the first five minutes of the second half extended the lead but Brixham then enjoyed a brief period of pressure on the Exmouth line. This came to a halt when the hosts successfully wheeled a scrum as Brixham edged towards the try line.
The final quarter was almost one-way traffic. Exmouth added a try and a penalty goal to go further ahead and two further tries in the last five minutes to put the icing on their victory cake.
With captain Adam Thomas forced to withdraw midway through the match, the three yellow cards and host of penalties made the Brixham task even harder.

17 January 2015
Brixham had had two tough games since the New Year but were nearly back to full strength for the visit of Barnstaple. The visitors have had a good spell recently and eager to avenge the two defeats by the Fishermen earlier in the season.
Barnstaple started strongly and a penalty goal gave them an early lead. Within ten minutes Brixham were in front. Ben Lovell kicked a penalty and further attacking brought the first try of the game.
Brixham stole a Barnstaple lineout on the 22 and attacked in the centre. The ball then went out to the left where centre Dean Squire got close to the try-line and prop Declan Sexton got even closer. Quickly recycled ball was then shipped rapidly along the line and winger Jonny Brown went over in the right corner despite the attention of two defenders. Lovell converted from the touchline.
A second penalty extended the Brixham lead but Barum struck back. Their lock, Matt Gohl, made good ground in the centre and two phases later the ball went to the right wing and enough space to round the Brixham defence for a try and another touchline conversion.
Soon after Brixham were down to 14 men when flanker Trae Gosling saw a red card for an act of retaliation and their task got a little harder. For the remainder of the first half the defences were on top but Lovell slotted a third penalty to leave the Fishermen 16-10 ahead at the break.
Two minutes into the second period and the lead had gone. A lineout catch and drive secured a converted try for Barnstaple but thereafter scoring chances were few. Both sides had to readjust themselves as a number of yellow cards were shown and some of the players got a little tetchy at times.
All of the scoring chances fell to the boot of Ben Lovell. A missed penalty goal attempt was followed by two successes and Brixham were back in the lead which they held to the end.
As a spectacle the game had but few highlights but as an evenly contested encounter that either side could have won it was interesting.

31 January 2015
After their Cup victory last weekend Brixham returned to League action on Saturday with a visit to Bournemouth. The Lions are in mid-table but have made their ground something of a fortress so a hard tussle was to be expected. The biting gale blowing across the pitch contributed nothing to what turned out to be a scrappy game.
Brixham were bolstered by the return of winger Matt Crosscombe but were below par in both attack and defence. The hosts were fired up for the occasion and the three yellow cards they earned scarcely effected the outcome.
Brixham had somewhat the better of the opening skirmishes but went behind within ten minutes. A typical run by Crosscombe set up a good attacking position but when the ball was recycled near-disaster struck. Bournemouth intercepted and ran to the other end for a try.
Brixham resumed their offence and came close to crossing the try line but were held up by the home defence. Fifteen minutes of pressure was eventually ended when scrum-half Andy Sandercock slotted a penalty goal.
The next ten minutes were all Bournemouth and brought them two tries. A number of attacking phases had Brixham pegged back in their own 22 before a gap appeared in the centre of a ruck for Bournemouth to go through and under the posts for the first. This was followed by a similar passage of play culminating in a chip through to the corner. With Brixham awaiting the ball running out of play, Bournemouth darted in to touch down.
With Brixham trailing 19-3 little further of note happened before the break. After it Brixham were generally on top for fifteen minutes. With the backs failing to break through the stubborn Bournemouth defence it was the forwards who got them back in the game. A 5 metre lineout was secured but instead of the almost customary maul Joe Lovell peeled off to go over for a try converted by Sandercock.
This point was the high water mark for the Fishermen. Bournemouth extended their lead when a rolling maul was driven over the line and further with a penalty. They also came close on other occasions.
Not until the end were Brixham able to improve on the scoreline. A run from deep in defence by Crosscombe took them up to the Bournemouth 22. A penalty conceded by the scrambling defence was quickly taken and fly-half Martin Worthington went through for the final try.

7 February 2015
Brixham entertained relegation-threatened Weston on Saturday. The result keeps Brixham in third place and has deepened the worries of the visitors. The Weston team was the strongest they have fielded all season and the Fishermen were made to work hard to secure the points.
A flying start gave Brixham a twelve point lead within the first ten minutes. Winger Jonny Brown opened the scoring when he finished off an attack by outpacing the defence to cross in the left corner. Andy Sandercock added the extras. Outside-half Martin Worthington claimed the second try. Winger Matt Crosscombe was brought down just short and the ball was popped up to Worthington to dive over.
Weston were not about to give up easily and struck back almost immediately. A long range penalty goal got them on the scoreboard and they began to press Brixham back. The Fishermen had no answer when a rolling maul forced them back half the length of the pitch and the resultant play saw their forwards over the line for a try.
Further attacking by the visitors and mistakes by Brixham saw them threatening the defence. Eventually they found the space and numbers on the left to score a second try. With the conversion they had their noses in front and they continued to put Brixham under pressure.
The Brixham defence held out and at the end of the first half it was Brixham threatening at the other end. 15-12 behind was not what they wanted!
The second period started with Brixham on the attack and the lead was promptly regained. Brixham recycled the ball after a ruck in front of the posts and with Weston expecting the ball to go out to the wing, flanker Sam Thomas took it at pace and went through under the posts unchallenged. Sandercock added the conversion.
Ten minutes into the half and the lead was increased after more Brixham attacks when Sandercock landed a penalty.
The last thirty minutes of normal time saw the scoreboard unchanged. Weston were after a valuable League win and Brixham wanted a fourth try and a bonus point. Play ebbed and flowed across the park with the defences holding firm. Moving into time added on for injuries, etc. Brixham were virtually camped on the Weston line but finding no gaps. Eight minutes later and they were still there but with the last move of the match prop Russ Morris crashed over. The try earned Brixham their bonus point but at the same time deprived Weston of one.

21 February 2015
Brixham consolidated their third place in the league on Saturday with an emphatic win over bottom-placed Chard. Earlier in the season Brixham left it to the last minute to win at Chard but were back to almost full strength for this match and looking to make amends for that near-failure.
Brixham made their intentions clear in the opening minutes by running straight at the defence. Handling errors cost them the first two half-chances they created but the opening score came within ten minutes. A break by centre Dean Squire was finished by winger Jonny Brown. Andy Sandercock added the conversion.
Ten minutes later and Brixham extended their lead when centre Tom McLean burst through and shrugged off tacklers on his way to the line. The intervening time had seen a Chard attack halted on the 22, a brief hailstorm and Brixham held short of the try-line twice and dominating proceedings.
And so it continued from the restart with Brixham punching holes and Chard desperately tackling. The defence was totally out of shape when prop Russ Morris received the ball 15 metres out and his run to the line was unchallenged. Sandercock added both conversions.
The intensity of the Brixham offence now began to slacken and a brace of penalties pushed them back into defence. Chard pressed and were rewarded when their flanker peeled off the back of a 5 metre lineout to score a [converted] try.
The comeback was shortlived. Just two minutes later Brixham took a quick tap-penalty in midfield and a looped pass was plucked from the air by McLean. Four tacklers could not impede his 30 metre run to the line. Brixham had achieved their first objective – a four try bonus point and turned around with a 26-7 lead.
While Brixham had had the better of the first half, the second was a different story. Playing up the slope they spent long periods in their own half. On the occasions when Chard threatened their line they could not breach the defence and when Brixham counter attacked it was often from deep positions.
Eight minutes into the second half and a ruck 5 metres from the line was the unlikely starting point for the fifth Brixham try. No. 8 Sam Thomas came away with the ball; quick passing through 5 pairs of hands took it to Jonny Brown who was left with half the pitch to cover and the Chard defence scattered.
Try 6 followed soon after. Brixham halted a Chard attack near the 22, Thomas again made the initial break, five passes later and Brown again touched down – for his hat-trick. The seventh try came three minutes later from a tap penalty on the Brixham 10 metre line. Two phases of play later McLean completed his own hat-trick, running the ball in from halfway.
With two conversions from the three tries, Sandercock had pushed the Brixham score up to 45 but Chard continued to work hard and look for ways through to the line. A lineout to them on the Brixham 22 followed a period of pressure but the ball was overthrown, Brixham retrieved and ran it back. Several passes later and it was the turn of full-back Tom Goodman to run to the posts from inside his own half.
Ten minutes from the end, and after a spell of pressure by Chard, Brixham broke out. A clearance kick by Chard was fielded by winger Matt Crosscombe. When he was held up on the halfway line he offloaded to flanker Scott Puleston and it was his turn to run in unopposed for the ninth try.
The final minutes were spent largely in midfield but at the end of the game the Brixham pack came close to scoring the tenth try. It was not to be. The ball went to the backs and McLean, with two men outside him, scooted in from the 22. The missed conversion brought the final whistle.

28 February 2015
Bracknell 25 Brixham 20
Since getting into the National Leagues Brixham have failed to win in Berkshire. Brixham were without captain Adam Thomas and an early start and a long drive did not help much either. However, Brixham must rue the missed chances in the first half.
Brixham came out strongly and had the better of the first half although it was Bracknell who took the early lead. Their penalty goal was soon cancelled out by one in reply from Andy Sandercock for Brixham. Bracknell went back in front when an interception on half way by one of their centres who raced untouched under the posts to make the conversion an easy one. With just over 10 minutes played and despite having had the lion’s share of the early possession Brixham found themselves trailing 10-3.
Brixham continued to dominate the game and it wasn’t long before this was reflected on the score board. A text book catch and a drive from the back of the line saw flanker Scott Puleston and two other Brixham players stroll the last 5 metres almost untouched for what Bracknell described as “an unnervingly simple looking try”. With the conversion missed the Bracknell lead was cut to two points.
Just 5 minutes later the Brixham backs combined to set winger Dean Squire clear and over in the corner. Another missed conversion meant that Brixham’s lead was only three points but the way they had turned around Bracknell’s rather fortunate early lead was a worry to the hosts.
The remaining 20 minutes of the first half saw no change in the score but Brixham continued to have the upper hand. A couple of attempts fell just short and Bracknell may well have been relieved to hear the half time whistle.
Bracknell dominated the second half and up until the very last move of the game Brixham didn’t really get a look in. A penalty by Owen levelled the scores and when he scored an unconverted try Bracknell were back ahead. Ten minutes later the lead was extended. A forwards drive rolled Brixham back across their own line for the touch down. . Owen added the extra points with a soccer style shot that flashed over the cross bar and took the score to 25-13.
From a promising position at the break, the Fishermen now needed two scores – and with the minutes ticking away the chances of a Brixham comeback changed from unlikely to very unlikely – allowed the home supporters to relax a bit. Fortunately for Brixham, this may also have been the case on the pitch as well. In the very last move of the game Bracknell’s concentration slipped and a missed tackle was all flanker Sam Thomas needed. His run in to the posts for an easy conversion was just what Brixham wanted to grab a last ditch bonus point.
Following this result the two sides have swapped places in the table.

7 March 2015
Brixham 26 Hornets 8
The Fishermen strengthened their hold on fourth place in the League with a win over the team immediately below them. With all three teams above winning, any slight hopes of promotion seem lost.
Brixham were on the offensive from the kick-off and soon had their noses in front. From a 5 metre lineout hooker Chey Bryce peeled off the maul to cross for the opening try.
Five minutes later and it was the turn of the backs to show their potency. From a lineout on halfway the ball went along the line and, after contributions from centre Tom McLean and fullback Tom Goodman, winger Jonny Brown touched down in the corner. Andy Sandercock landed the difficult conversion.
The game now settled into a tit-for-tat struggle in the middle of the park. Further attacking by Brixham brought no reward. Sandercock missed a penalty attempt before Hornets got onto the scoreboard with one of their own. Another try before the break looked likely when centre Dean Squire went down the wing, only for a foot in touch to deny him.
With a 12-3 lead at the break and the elements in their favour in the second period, Brixham were looking to build on the position. Hornets had other ideas and retained possession for most of the opening ten minutes of the half – albeit making little forward progress.
Not unexpectedly, Brixham launched the move that broke the stalemate from deep in their own half. Winger Matt Crosscombe received the ball in space with 60 metres to go. The sole defender in front of him failed to touch him as he swooped in for the third try. Sandercock converted and the lead was much healthier.
An incident after the try cost Hornets a yellow card and the game restarted with a Brixham penalty. Six minutes of continuous attacking later and the Fishermen had a fourth try; prop Russ Morris charging over from close range. Sandercock had a straightforward conversion.
With the bonus point secured, Brixham perhaps relaxed somewhat and Hornets enjoyed much the better of possession and territory in the final quarter. A spell of pressure on the Brixham line seemed to have been resolved with a try, only for the ball to be knocked-on over the line. Brixham failed to clear after the resulting scrum and within a minute Hornets claimed their try.
In the fifteen minutes remaining they failed to add to their tally as the Brixham defence held firm.

21 March 2015
Newton Abbot 36 Brixham 7
After the excitement of the Devon Cup, the Fishermen returned to Rackerhayes for a League match which was much more subdued. Following the gold-rush of the cup-final the ground resembled a ghost town though the tumbleweed was missing.
Newton were at full strength while Brixham, with four players away on Navy duties and others injured or unavailable, were most certainly not. Three players made their first-team debuts with others stepping up from the Crusaders to fill the vacant slots.
Newton might have expected an easier game but for the first twenty minutes the game was played mainly in midfield as the teams struggled to gain an advantage. The Newton pack began to get on top and a rolling maul got them close to the Brixham line. Flanker Joe Lovell earned ten minutes in the sin-bin for his efforts to stop it but Newton maintained the pressure and another maul ended with a try under the posts and an easy conversion.
Brixham replied almost immediately when a fine solo effort by centre Tom McLean ended with his try. Ben Lovell added the extras and Brixham were level.
With half-time approaching further Newton pressure resulted in a second try and Brixham turned around 14-7 behind.
The second period began badly for Brixham. Newton secured the ball straight from their kick-off, retained possession and within a minute had their third, converted, try.
For much of the second half Brixham struggled to get their hands on, or keep, the ball. For all their possession, in the next 30 minutes Newton could only manage a penalty goal to extend their lead. In the final ten minutes Newton added two more tries, one converted.
Despite the final score Brixham can reflect on the good performances of all their “call-ups” and look to secure fourth place in the League in their three remaining matches.

28 March 2015
Just as they were last week, Brixham were well short of full-strength against their Gloucester visitors. Although there is little left to play for this season, the game provided little real excitement. Only in the final twenty minutes did the Fishermen show anything like the form they have demonstrated previously.
The loss of lock Luke Maggs in the first half did little to help forward-wise and the Brixham pack regularly found themselves going backwards at scrum-time. With little good ball from this source, and against a committed and organised defence, Brixham were limited to scraps of possession. While Old Cents had the edge up front their backs showed little ambition and Brixham were able to contain them.
In the first ten minutes Brixham saw very little of the ball and the visitors opened up a ten point lead with a penalty goal and converted try. When Brixham began to get into the game Ben Lovell, playing his 200th First team game, got them on the scoreboard with a penalty. The deficit was cut to two points when the Brixham backs combined to score a try in the left corner. Lovell narrowly missed adding the extras.
So it remained to half-time. With the wind and slope now against them Brixham knew they had to something. Within ten minutes of the resumption the task got harder. Three penalties - two from near halfway - increased the Old Cents lead but there was to be no other scoring in the game.
In the final twenty minutes Brixham were virtually camped in the visitors' half and got close to the try line on a number of occasions. The Cents defence held out. Brixham will have to wait for next season to achieve their first win over them.

18 April 2015
The Fishermen signed off their season with an ultimately comfortable win over Bristol-based Old Redcliffians. Brixham had the wind at their backs in the first half, playing up the slope but were unable to put it to much advantage and only turned around at half-time with a two point lead.
They had taken the lead early on when winger Jonny Brown crossed in the corner for a try and outside-half Ben Lovell converted from the touchline but spent most of the first period in defence. Reds came close to scoring on a few occasions and just before the break were rewarded with an unconverted try.
For Brixham the first half had been disappointing and in the first minute of the second things got worse when a lineout resulted in Reds’ flanker touching down for a try under the posts.
Brixham responded to going behind by dominating the rest of the game. Within ten minutes they were back in front. A typically powerful run by winger Matt Crosscombe took him through the visitors’ defence to touch down under the posts and an easy conversion by Lovell. Two minutes later he followed up with an almost identical score.
Brixham continued to pile on the pressure and the lead was extended when centre Dean Squire went over in the corner. He was soon followed into the same place by flanker Rhys Catell who finished off an attack set up by the strong running of props Declan Sexton and Russ Morris. Lovell missed the conversions but Brixham now had a comfortable lead.
A brief revival by Reds brought them a converted try but the Fishermen had the final say with their sixth try. Centre Tom McLean rounded the defence to score under the posts and Lovell was on target again for the extras.
8 November 2014
The Fishermen progressed to the semi-finals of the Devon Cup after a hard-fought victory in North Devon. Injuries and unavailabilities forced several changes to both teams.
Brixham had the strong wind, and intermittent rain, at their backs in the first half. The opening five minutes developed into a game of aerial ping-pong as the kickers practised their arts. This ended when Barnstaple were penalised and winger Jonny Brown secured the points from long range.
Brixham then started to enjoy more territorial advantage and extended their lead ten minutes later. As he had when the two sides last met, hooker Chey Bryce got the opening try. Picking up the ball 20 metres out he shrugged off tackles as he powered to the line. Brown’s conversion attempt went wide; deflected by a rushing Barnstaple player.
Almost twenty-five minutes of, for the most part, Brixham pressure saw them close to scoring but unrewarded. A scrum in the Barum 22 provided the platform for the second try. Jarryd Harris, back from injury at No 8 broke off the base, centre Dean Squire continued the move before passing to fellow centre Tom McLean who used his strength to go over in the corner. Brown landed the difficult conversion.
Barnstaple were now 15 points behind but started to string phases together and started to test the Brixham defence. On the stroke of halftime they were camped on the Brixham line. From a tap penalty their forwards drove for the line but when it was released full-back Will Topps emerged from their midst to dive over.
The missed conversion left the hosts ten points behind at the break but with the elements in their favour in the second period, and their tails up, turning the deficit around was clearly achievable.
In the opening ten minutes of the second half Brixham were largely confined to their own 22 and defending valiantly. When their forwards had failed to score the ball went wide and winger Linford Brock touched down in the corner.
Further Barnstaple pressure, and occasional break-outs by Brixham, was the pattern of the second half. A yellow card for Squire put additional pressure on the Brixham defence but it held firm. As the time ticked down Barnstaple began to tire and Brixham started to push them back. The final ten minutes saw Brixham come close to extending their lead and they closed the game out in the Barnstaple half.

24 January 2015
Brixham avenged the heavy defeat suffered at Exmouth a fortnight ago and in the process beat the defending Devon Senior Cup holders. They will now go to Newton Abbot in the final.
Brixham attacked from the outset and in the opening two minutes went very close to the try-line on three occasions. The fourth time they crossed it but the ball was held up and the try denied. Exmouth withstood the early pressure and the next scoring opportunity fell to them. Their first foray into Brixham territory ended with a neat kick through which turned the defence but Ben Lovell, playing at full-back, grounded the ball for a 22 drop out.
After a spell of attack and counter attack in midfield Brixham pushed the Cockles back and a scrum infringement brought a penalty slotted by Lovell.
Brixham started to get on top of the visitors. Exmouth’s attacks were met by solid tackling which often drove them backwards while their defence was tested by some powerful running.
Brixham made the breakthrough they needed just before the half-hour mark. After going through thirteen attacking phases involving both forwards and backs the ball sped out to flanker Jarryd Harris among the backs. He spotted a gap and went through for the opening try in the Mudstone corner. Lovell converted and Brixham had a ten point lead.
Five minutes later and more pressure brought a second penalty goal for Lovell. From the restart lock Luke Maggs’ powerful run had Brixham straight back on the attack and was speedily followed by another Lovell penalty.
Before half-time Exmouth got on the scoreboard with a penalty and Lovell missed one for Brixham. With a 16-3 lead at the break the Fishermen seemed well in charge.
Brixham started the second half in the same attacking frame of mind but when Exmouth broke out of defence they were rewarded with a penalty goal to reduce the deficit. This was soon substantially lowered. A mistake in fielding a kick gave Exmouth a good attacking position. A lineout secured the ball and two phases later their forwards drove over for a converted try.
Just three points ahead and playing up the slope Brixham knew they had to dig deep. Ten minutes of midfield sparring culminated with Brixham on the Exmouth 22. Quick handling took the ball to centre Dean Squire whose run was terminated just short of the try line. From the ensuing ruck substitute winger Jonathan Merlin picked up and dived over for a try in the scoreboard corner.
Lovell missed the conversion but Exmouth now need to score twice to win. A penalty goal apiece maintained the Brixham lead as time ran down.
Forty minutes were up but there were still ten tense minutes for Brixham to endure of added time. Exmouth threw everything at them in their attempts to retain interest in the Cup. The Fishermen weathered the storm and conceded nothing.

14 March 2015
Although there are still four rounds of League matches to play, the Devon Cup Final was the defining point in the season for both teams. For Brixham history was against them but playing away at Rackerhayes was not as the travelling fans outnumbered and drowned out the homesters.
A high-scoring game between two fairly evenly matched teams provided all of the entertainment and excitement that any fan could wish for. The final result could, however, only please one side.
In the opening minutes the Fishermen struggled to lay their hands on the ball and the hosts started the scoreboard moving with a drop-goal. Brixham now started to get into the game and a powerful run by centre Tom McLean pushed Newton back into their own half. After a few more phases fellow centre Dean Squire cut through the defence before offloading to flanker Scott Puleston who crossed for the opening try. Scrum-half Andy Sandercock converted and, with ten minutes played, Brixham had the lead that they were never to relinquish.
Within ten minutes the lead was extended. Winger Matt Crosscombe powered up the touchline and when he was eventually halted the ball went to Number 8 Sam Thomas who crashed over the whitewash; Sandercock added the conversion.
The Newton riposte was almost immediate. A couple of phases after the restart they had men over on the right wing and ex-Fisherman Kyle Browne was in for a converted try.
As the game proceeded the play ebbed and flowed as both sides sought to make another breakthrough. A penalty goal apiece was all they had to show for it but with half-time approaching Brixham made their way into the Newton 22. A penalty set up a short range lineout. The catch and drive never materialised but from the ensuing maul flanker Matt Harvey peeled off and with assistance from lock Luke Maggs powered over the try-line. Sandercock converted and Brixham had a 24-13 lead at the break.
Five minutes into the second half and the Fishermen gave themselves a safety margin. Attacking in the top corner they were held up but the ball went back around the ruck for prop Russ Morris to crash over in the corner.
The next twenty minutes belonged to Newton with Brixham unable to get much possession or territory. For most of that time the Brixham defence held out but two penalty goals in quick succession were followed by an unconverted try. Newton were now only five points behind and scenting victory.
The Fishermen weathered the storm and started to get back into the game. A penalty goal by Ben Lovell extended the lead but with ten minutes left there was still time for Newton to win. Running the ball at every opportunity kept the Brixham defence busy.
Five minutes to go and they ran from inside their 22. The ball was spilt in the tackle on halfway; Sam Thomas flipped it up to Dean Squire who set off at pace before offloading to Crosscombe whose run up the wing was unstoppable. Lovell converted his try and Newton were now three scores behind.
Too much to do and too little time but they attacked to the end. In added time, a try in the clubhouse corner, and conversion, cheered their supporters but the final whistle was not long in coming.
After an 83 year wait, and ten defeats in cup-finals in recent years, The Devon Senior Cup returned to Astley Park amid much jubilation from the travelling army of supporters.

Back to content | Back to main menu